All employers who sponsor a health plan should understand their obligations under HIPAA. HIPAA and subsequent regulations, including the HITECH Act, protects employee health information as it relates to a group health plan. It creates compliance obligations for health plans that vary based on whether the plan is fully-insured or self-insured and how much protected health information an employer receives.
- Lay out the basic compliance requirements of HIPAA and HITECH
- Review key terms
- Discuss how HIPAA applies to health plans based on funding and the flow of information
- Present the difference between compliance for fully-insured and self-insured plans
- Discuss how HIPAA applies when plan sponsors self-administer plans such as an FSA or HRA
- Review the consequences of violating HIPAA / HITECH
- Discuss the new breach procedures and audits under the HITECH Act
- Describe best practices in HIPAA / HITECH compliance
Employers should walk away from this 90-minute session with an understanding of how HIPAA applies to their health plan and what they need to do in order to avoid costly breaches and penalty assessments.
Tabatha George is an associate in the New Orleans office. She specializes in employee benefits, including retirement and welfare plans and healthcare reform. She has particular expertise in Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance, data breaches involving health information, and the Affordable Care Act (ACA).Before joining the firm, Tabby was a Simpson Thacher fellow with the Harvard Project on Disability and practiced for two years in New York as a transactional at... View Full Profile
This program has been approved for credit hours through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
Aurora Training Advantage is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.