Employee Expense Reimbursements
Employee expense reimbursements are subject to IRS guidelines and can be disallowed as expenses – and even considered compensation to those employees – if not handled correctly.
Further, if employee expense reimbursements do not meet IRS guidelines, they may be disallowed as expenses and considered compensation to those employees, leaving your organization responsible for the associated payroll taxes – plus any penalties.
This training session will help you to recognize – and accurately report – employee expense reimbursements.
This course covers the rules and requirements for expense reimbursements, as well as best practices for processing expense reimbursements either in payroll or accounts payable, and covers:
- IRS expense reimbursement requirements
- Whether employee expense reimbursements should be run through payroll or accounts payable
- Which payments being made to your employees may be subject to payroll taxes
- Accountable plan rules – and how they apply to employee travel and expense reimbursements
- How employee business expenses made under accountable plans can be excluded from an employee’s gross income
- The accounting issues associated with the use of per diems
- Other payroll best practices
- How to determine the scope and potential areas of focus for your audit
- How to identify any areas of concern prior to an external audit or an audit by another group within your company
- Common areas where mistakes or issues can normally be found
- How a review can help you detect internal control issues
- Where to go to for assistance so you’re not re-creating the wheel
- Devising a game plan on what you want to review and how to divide and conquer
Dayna is currently the Payroll Tax Manager at PetSmart Inc. Dayna has been heavily involved in the payroll field over 15 years. Starting as a payroll clerk at a small Tucson company, Dayna moved on to be a Payroll Team Leader at Honeywell Inc. During Dayna’s time at Honeywell she obtained her FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) through the American Payroll Association. She also received several merit awards for Customer Service and Acquisitions and Divestitures. Dayna is no stranger to... View Full Profile
Aurora Training Advantage is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
For more information regarding administrative policies such as complaint and refund, and cancellation please contact our offices at 407-542-4317 or email@example.com.
This program has been approved for credit hours through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
Aurora Training Advantage is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.