Bipolar and Major Depressive Disorder In The Workplace
Webinar Details $219
- Webinar Length: 60 Minutes
- Guest Speaker: Susan Desmond
- Topic:   Human Resources
- Credit:   SHRM 1.0, HRCI 1.0
Bipolar disorder affects about six million in the U.S., and major depressive disorder affects about 15 million. These illnesses affect an individual’s ability to function on a day-to-day basis. If left unmedicated, the individual will often self medicate with alcohol or drugs. Employers frequently have to deal with the effects of these disorders without knowing that an employee’s performance or misconduct can be traced to them – often because the employee hasn’t told the employer of his/her underlying condition.
This webinar will walk you through the signs that your employee may suffer from major depression or bipolar disorder; what to expect when an employee has been diagnosed with one of these conditions; how to handle the employee who refuses to take his/her medication; when you can discipline if misconduct is a byproduct of the disorder(s); how to address employees’ fears; and MORE!
- Bipolar Disorder: Definition, statistics and key issues an employer should be aware of
- Properly handling limitations that employees with bipolar disorder may face
- Common workplace accommodations
- Understand the impact FMLA has on employees with bipolar disorder
- Addressing performance, attendance and other common issues
- Providing an environment and resources that allow an employee with bipolar to thrive
- How to effectively and legally communicate with other employees
- The Mental Health Parity Act and Bipolar Disorder