Opioid and Drug Abuse in The Workplace
Webinar Details $219
- Webinar Length: 90 Minutes
- Guest Speaker: Susan Desmond
- Topic:   Human Resources
- Credit:   SHRM 1.5, HRCI 1.5
The Centers for Disease Control states that “from 1999–2018, almost 450,000 people died from an overdose involving any opioid, including prescription and illicit opioids.” The use of synthetic opioids has also increased significantly. Overdose deaths involving opioids, including prescription opioids, heroin, and synthetic opioids (like fentanyl), have increased almost six times since 1999. Overdoses involving opioids killed nearly 47,000 people in 2018, and 32% of those deaths involved prescription opioids.
Overcoming any drug addiction is difficult and frequently involves many relapses. Employers lose literally millions in lost productivity due to addiction, accident related to being under the influence, etc.
In this webinar, we will discuss:
- The growing addiction problem in the United States
- Addictions and Co-Existing Medical/Mental Conditions
- Employer obligations under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Employer obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Growing use of medical and recreational use of marijuana
- Helping the addicted employee
- Using last chance agreements