Taxable vs Non-Taxable Fringe Benefits
Employee expense reimbursements are subject to IRS guidelines and can be disallowed as expenses – and even considered compensation to those employees – if not handled correctly. Further, if employee expense reimbursements do not meet IRS guidelines, they may be disallowed as expenses and considered compensation to those employees, leaving the employer responsible for the associated payroll taxes – plus any penalties.
Taxable and nontaxable fringe benefit are scattered throughout the Internal Revenue Code. Benefits can be hid in Sec 274, 162, 119, 132, 127, and 82. Add in numerous Announcements, Notices and Regulations and we have a complex web. This course will concentrate on the development of an Accountable Reimbursement Plan under Sec 274 and accompanying regulations plus recent pronouncements and inflation increases.
Fringe Benefit Examples and How They Relate to W2 and 1099 preparation:
- Accountable vs. non-Accountable Expense Reimbursement Plans
- Record keeping requirements of Sec. 274 & Accountable Plans
- Deductible and Non-deductible Meals
- De minimis fringe benefits
- No added cost benefits
- Cash payments
- Auto allowances
- Company vehicles
- Prizes, awards, gifts
We'll Answer These and Other Questions:
- What are the taxable and non-taxable wages?
- Are meal allowances nontaxable?
- Are travel allowances nontaxable?
- What other benefits are nontaxable wages?
- What meals are deductible and nontaxable to employees?
- Learn what are the taxable and non-taxable wages?
- Learn what other benefits are nontaxable wages?
- Learn what meals are deductible and nontaxable to employees?
Steven Mercatante is the principal and founder of TIR Consulting, LLC. He is a nationally recognized leader in tax reporting education and consulting on specialized compliance issues. He has conducted on-site consultation for corporate clients from across the world and led countless seminars and webinars for Convey Compliance Systems, IAPP, Balance Consulting, The Accounts Payable Network, Accounts Payable Now and Tomorrow, Progressive Business Conferences, The Center For Competitive Management,... View Full Profile