On Demand Webinar

Visa Non-Immigration For Payroll

Webinar Details $219

  • Rated:
  • Webinar Length: 60 Minutes
  • Guest Speaker:   Dayna Reum
  • Topic:   Human Resources, Taxation and Accounting, Payroll
  • Credit:   HRCI 1.0, SHRM 1.0, CPE 2.0
All Access Membership

As a payroll professional we are being asked by our business partners to expand our knowledge past the US. Companies are going more global each day and as a payroll professional we need to be ready for the challenge. This webinar will give you the tools and best practices to understand how we handle employees that are in a non-immigration visa status.


  • Detailed discussion on why it is critical for HR and payroll to work together on anyone being hired that is on a visa status.
  • Understanding the Visa process from how companies obtain a visa for a potential employee to how to handle employees already on visas when being hired.
  • Understanding student visa’s and how to tax employees.
  • Discussions on what is an I-94 card and how important is that in relation to the visa
  • Details of different types of work visa’s such as L-1,E,O,H-1,TN/NAFTA
  • Details of different types of student visa’s such as F-1 & J-1
  • Taxation issues and concerns will be discussed with each type of visa

Learning Objectives:

  • Understanding the Visa process from how companies obtain a visa for a potential employee to how to handle employees already on visas when being hired.
  • Understanding student visa’s and how to tax employees.
  • Learn what is an I-94 card and how important is that in relation to the visa
  1. Introduction
  2. Agenda 00:01:01:36
  3. What Is An Immigrant Visa 00:05:56
  4. Process To Get An Immigrant Visa 00:008:34
  5. What Is An I-94 Card? 00:10:57
  6. Temporary Visas/Non-Work 00:14:00
  7. Temp Visa Nonwork Exception 00:15:05
  8. What Are The Types of Work Visas? 00:16:28
  9. L-1 Visa 00:17:39
  10. E-Visa 00:20:48
  11. O Visa 00:22:12
  12. O visa (Cont’d) 00:24:09
  13. H-1 Visa 00:26:43
  14. H-1 Visa (Cont’d) 00:30:12
  15. TN/NAFTA Visas 00:33:40
  16. USCIS Updates for Visas 00:35:09
  17. USCIS Updates for Visas (cont’d) 00:36:40
  18. USCIS Updates for Visas (cont’d) 00:38:05
  19. What To Do With The I-9 For The 180 Day Extension 00:39:16
  20. What To Do With The I-9 For The 180 Day Extension (cont’d) 00:39:58
  21. What About E-Verify Employers? 00:40:09
  22. USCIS Updates for Visas (Cont’d) 00:41:21
  23. Additional Extensions Valid EAD’s 00:41:57
  24. I-9 Flexibility and E-Verify Modifications 00:42:33
  25. I-9 Flexibility and E-Verify Modifications (Cont’d) 00:
  26. Educational Visas 00:45:17
  27. Expatriates & Inpatriates 00:46:59
  28. Taxation Policies 00:47:26
  29. Nonresident Alien Taxation 00:49:18
  30. Resident Alien Taxation 00:51:46
  31. Questions 00:52:53
  32. Presentation Closing 01:01:52
  • B-1 Visa 00:02:12
  • B-2 Visa 00:02:12
  • E-Treaty Visa 00:19:46
  • F-1 Visa 00:47:52
  • F-2 Visa 00:02:12, 00:15:45
  • H-1B Visa 00:20:22, 00:29:29, 00:33:46
  • H-4 Visa 00:02:12, 00:16:06
  • I-94 Card 00:01:53, 00:12:29
  • I-9 Form 00:43:59
  • J-1 Visa 00:02:12, 00:16:11, 00:48:01
  • J-2 Visa 00:02:12, 00:16:11
  • K-1 Visa 00:02:12, 00:16:23
  • K-2 Visa  00:02:12, 00:16:39
  • L-1A Visa 00:21:27
  • L-1B Visa 00:21:28
  • L-1 Visa 00:19:36, 00:21:18
  • Labor Market Test 00:32:31
  • M-1 Visa 00:47:57
  • Nonresident Alien (NRA) 00:53:52
  • Non-Work Visa 00:02:12
  • O-3 Visa 00:02:12, 00:16:52
  • O-Visa 00:20:03, 00:25:10
  • P-4 Visa 00:02:12, 00:17:17
  • Q-1 Visa 00:02:12, 00:17:24
  • Resident Alien 00:56:48
  • Student Visa 00:03:42
  • TN/NAFTA 00:20:40, 00:36:30
  • USCIS 00:38:14
  • Work Visa 00:02:16

L-1A Visa : An L-1A visa is a visa for non-immigrant foreign executives or managers who are being transferred to their company's U.S. offices.L-1 visas are for intracompany transfer and allow U.S. employers to move an employee in a manager or executive position to an affiliate office in the U.S.

B-1 Visa: The B1 and B2 visas are for visitors who travel to America and plan to go back to their home country afterward. They are good for short-term visits of up to one year. Specifically, the B1 visa is for business visits while the B2 visa is for pleasure, tourism, and medical visits.

B-2 Visa: The B1 and B2 visas are for visitors who travel to America and plan to go back to their home country afterward. They are good for short-term visits of up to one year. Specifically, the B1 visa is for business visits while the B2 visa is for pleasure, tourism, and medical visits.

E-Treaty Visa: Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2) visas are for citizens of countries with which the United States maintains treaties of commerce and navigation

F-1 Visa: An F1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for those wishing to study in the U.S. You must file an F1 visa application if you plan on entering the US to attend a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, language training program, or other academic institution

F-2 Visa: The F visa is classified into F1 and F2 visas. F1 visas are used by non-immigrant students for Academic and Language training Courses. The F2 visas are used by the dependents of F1 visa holders. Spouse and unmarried, minor children are said to be the dependents of the F1 visa holder.

Form I-9: Form I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must ensure proper completion of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens.

H-1B Visa: The H-1B is a visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101 that allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. A specialty occupation requires the application of specialized knowledge and a bachelor's degree or the equivalent of work experience. The duration of stay is three years, extendable to six years; after which the visa holder may need to reapply.

H-4 Visa: An H-4 visa is a visa issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to immediate family members of the H-1B, H-2, and H-3 visa holders. USCIS allows immediate family members of H visa holders to get H-4 visas to lawfully come and stay in the US. These visas are usually issued at the local US consulate office abroad.

I-94 Card: The I-94: Proof of Legal Entry into the United States. When entering the United States as a nonimmigrant, the Customs Border Protection (CBP) officer examines your passport and visa and then issues either a passport admission stamp or a small white card called the Form I-94.

J-1 Visa: A J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to research scholars, professors and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange, especially to obtain medical or business training within the U.S.

J-2 Visa: A J-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States for spouses and dependents of J-1 exchange visitors. Any J-2 visa with the Employment Authorization Document can work for any employer in the US without sponsorship. 39.350 J-2 visas were issued in 2017.

K-1 Visa: A K-1 visa is a visa issued to the fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen to enter the United States. A K-1 visa requires a foreigner to marry his or her U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry, or depart the United States.

K-2 Visa: The K2 visa is a non-immigrant visa that can be used by the children of a K1 fiancé (e) visa holder to enter the United States territory until an immigration visa is granted for them. As the child acquires his immigrant status through the parent, this type of visa is known as a derivative visa.

L-1 Visa: An L-1 visa is a visa document used to enter the United States for the purpose of work in L-1 status. It is a non-immigrant visa, and is valid for a relatively short amount of time, from three months to five years, based on a reciprocity schedule.

L-1B Visa: L-1B Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge. The L-1B nonimmigrant classification enables a U.S. employer to transfer a professional employee with specialized knowledge relating to the organization's interests from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States.

Labor Market Test : The employer is required to participate in a process to test the U.S. labor market by recruiting to determine if there are any able, willing, available and qualified U.S. workers for the position to be offered to the foreign national. Recruitment is just like it sounds, the employer must advertise the position and review resumes for more than 30 days, but less than 180 days, prior to filing the application to ensure that there are no other qualified U.S. workers available. The employer is also required to offer at least the prevailing wage for the position ,as determined by the DOL ,based on the job requirements and location of employment.

M-1 Visa: The M-1 visa is a type of student visa in the U.S. reserved for international students attending vocational schools and technical schools.

Non-Work Visa: Nonimmigrant Visas: Temporary Employment. If you wish to work in the United States for a temporary period you will require a nonimmigrant work visa. You cannot work on a visitor or business visa, or under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Nonresident Alien (NRA): This income is taxed at a flat 30% rate, unless a tax treaty specifies a lower rate. Nonresident aliens must file and pay any tax due using Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return or Form 1040NR-EZ, U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens with No Dependents.

O Visa: An O visa is a classification of non-immigrant temporary worker visa granted by the United States to an alien "who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements", and to certain assistants and immediate family members of such aliens

O-3 Visa: This category allows the spouses and children of O-1A and O-1B visa holder to travel to the US with them. For immigration purposes the US only recognizes marriages; civil partners and other long term partners are unable to apply for this visa.

P-4 Visa: P-4 visa is the type of visa that the spouse and dependent children of a P-1, P-2, or P-3 visa holder applies for in order to accompany a family member to the United States legally.

Q-1 Visa: The Q-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows travel to United States to participate in a cultural exchange program. The purpose of the program is to allow for practical training and employment, and the sharing of history, culture, and traditions.

Resident Alien : A resident alien is a foreign person who is a permanent resident of the country in which he or she resides but does not have citizenship. To fall under this classification in the United States, a person needs to either have a current green card or have had one in the previous calendar year.

Student Visa: A student visa (F or M) is required to study in the United States. Foreign nationals may not study after entering on a visitor (B) visa or through the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), except to undertake recreational study (non-credit) as part of a tourist visit.

TN/NAFTA: a special non-immigrant classification in the United States that offers expedited work authorization to a citizen of Canada or a national of Mexico, created as a result of provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement that mandate simplified entry and employment permission for certain professionals from each of the three NAFTA member states in the other member states. A Canadian citizen or Mexican national with a job offer in certain defined professions and who meets the minimal education requirements for each defined profession can work in the United States, for up to three years. The permit potentially may be renewed indefinitely.

USCIS: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is an agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security that administers the country's naturalization and immigration system.

Work Visa: A visa giving one the ability to take a job in a country other than the one in which one is a citizen. There are different types of work visas. One kind may require the holder to have a local employer as a sponsor, and to return home if he/she loses the job.

Guest Speaker

  • Dayna J. Reum

HRCI Credit

Human Resource Certification Institute
This program has been approved for credit hours through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.

SHRM Credit

Society for Human Resource Management
Aurora Training Advantage is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.

CPE Credit

Continuing Professional Education

Aurora Training Advantage is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.

For more information regarding administrative policies such as complaint and refund, and cancellation please contact our offices at 407-542-4317 or training@auroratrainingadvantage.com.

You must answer all questions during the webinar, view the recording completely and pass the test at the end with 70% correct answers to receive CPE credit.